For Love of Benjamin

When my dear friend Carrie told me that her little one had passed away at 16 weeks gestation and that she was going to be induced for delivery, I knew of course that I wanted her to have a special diaper set and blanket -- extra small, extra special.

It was 10:30 at night and I was in a panic. I had given away all of my favorite fabric that very morning to a friend for cutting. I did the only thing I could think of in that moment.  In my pajamas and bare feet, I raced next door to The Green Family to take a peek through their fabric stash cupboard so that I could make a teeny little set of diapers for the coming angel of an unknown gender.

As I tearfully explained my conundrum, J.R. led me over to their kitchen table that was, characteristically, strewn with teeny diapers.  She reached over to some diapers set off to the side and said, "I made these diapers tonight.  Once I pulled them off the sewing machine, I realized I had accidentally made them  extra small.  I don't have many, just one set of boy diapers and a one set of girl diapers."

Of course she did.  Because Someone knew they would be needed.  And she listened.

Benjamin North came silently into the world 24 hours later; perfect, precious, and dearly loved.

The Green Family provided a collection of 130 diapers in memory of sweet Benjamin to:
St. Joseph's Children's Hospital in Marshfield, Wisconsin
Mercy Memorial Medical Center in Ardmore, Oklahoma
Grand Strand Medical Center in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and
Memorial Health Center in Medford, Wisconsin

1 comment:

Carrie North said...

Today was one of those days when what happened came back and hit me, like it hasn't for several weeks. Then I saw this post. It's bitter-sweet. I'm so happy to have others honor Benjamin's memory and keep that memory alive. What you do is such a service of love. Having something tangible to hold that reminds us of our baby provides us comfort that we wouldn't have had otherwise. We love our little Benjamin. Megan and Green family, thank you for what you do.