Fort Worth Fabrics -- For Love of Austyn

Fort Worth Fabric Studio specializes in beautiful quilt fabrics and batiks for quilters and the creative seamstress.  See their catalog of gorgeous prints!
The good folks behind Fort Worth Fabric Studio sent us some beautiful fabric that we were able to transform into 40 sets of diapers (80 diapers) for angel families at Lakeview Regional Medical Center in Covington, Louisiana.  

These diapers were handcrafted by Vanessa and Domonique, two of our SLC Diaper Divas, in memory of Baby Austyn, who was born still at full term, dearly loved and sorely missed by his mother, despite the circumstances of his conception.
"When I was 17, I found out I was pregnant, the end result of being raped by a college student attending the local junior college. As horrifying and traumatic as it was being raped, finding out I was pregnant just added to the horrifying event of it all. However, over the next 9 months, I grew to love the baby boy I was carrying. Even though the circumstances of his conception were not right by any means, I still loved him. He was a part of me. There were many fights with my parents and my doctor wanting me to either abort the baby in the early stages, which I refused to do, to meeting with LDS Family Services for possible adoption.  
On October 25, 1993, when I was 17, I gave birth to my sweet Austyn. He was stillborn. I did not know before he was born that he had passed away.  I often wonder if the nurses and doctor knew something, but didn't tell me because of my age.  What was supposed to be one of the happiest days of my life, giving birth to my first baby boy, turned into one of the hardest days of my life. It's so hard to believe Austyn would have turned 19 years old this last October.
It's really sad that all I have to remember him is a simple picture and my memories. However, I do feel him close to me all the time. When I am having a bad day, a normal day, going through something difficult, I will feel a brush of air on my cheek, I know with every piece of my being, that is my Austyn letting me know he is with me, reassuring me he is okay, that he loves me, and that I am his Mom.
19 years have passed since I met and said good-bye to my son. Though time doesn't heal the pain I feel inside, and his birthday doesn't get any easier, I am so grateful for my knowledge and testimony of eternal families. That is what has held me together all these years later. I KNOW I will see Austyn again. I KNOW I will get to hug him and hold him again.
Thank you for letting me and my story be a part of Teeny Tears. That one single picture and the memories I have are worth everything. However, I still wish I had something tangible, something I could pull out on his birthday. Unfortunately, back then the hospital where Austyn was born didn't have anything like Teeny Tears Diapers, or blankets, or hats, or gowns. I know these teeny diapers mean the WORLD to parents of Angel Babies."   ~Austyn's mommy

Large boy diapers...
Large girl diapers...
Small boy diapers...
Small girl diapers...

Thank you, Fort Worth Fabric Studio!  Don't forget to "like" them on Facebook!

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Wow! What a loving mother!

Micki said...

What a heartbreaking, beautiful story.

Eden MaRee said...

What an amazing story! What an amazing mother! Thank you for sharing!