For Love of Josiah

Angel mama Renee has been donating bereavement clothing in memory of her son Josiah Darin Lane through the organization she founded in his name, Josiah's Song.
I have had a hernia for a while and the doctor said it was ok. That was about 4 years ago. I found out I was pregnant on my birthday, August 12, 2012. Things were going great. On October 17, I had extreme pain in my stomach. I was taken to the ER by my mother-in-law because my husband was dropping off a meal to a friend. I got there about 6 or so. They did an ultrasound and said baby was fine but couldn't figure out why I was having pain. I didn't sleep well and was still in extreme pain. 

I called my physician and he wasn't in and was told to go to pm care. I decided to call my OB. He wanted to see me ASAP. When I got there, he knew what was wrong by looking at by belly. I was admitted to the hospital right away. He found a surgeon who would do surgery the next morning. I was told that I would have to have an epidural. I have never had one and I have had 6 living children. I had surgery at 7 am and my ob was there to assist knowing I was afraid to have surgery. He held my hands and did everything above and beyond. He has been my ob for all 6 of my kids and 3 miscarriages at that point. 

Surgery was 2 1/2 hours. It was only to be about 1 hour. I had a double hernia with a restricted bowel. They had to remove 8 inches of my bowel and reconnect it. My bowel was dead and couldn't be used anymore. I was in the hospital for 5 days. Josiah looked great. I had daily checks on him. They gave me 2 bags of antibiotics while I was there. I was sent home and had 2 appts each week to check on Josiah. 

On November 5, I went to the restroom and my water broke. I was 20 weeks 2 days. I called my ob and they wanted to see me immediately. I went in and he sent me straight for an ultrasound. I had very little water left. Josiah was still doing great, moving all over. He told me to go home and stay in bed on my back and drink lots of water. I did exactly what he said. At 4:55 am on November 6, I started having contractions. 

At 6 am my husband took me to the hospital where I delivered Josiah Darin Lane at 6:52 am. He was just 9 inches and 9 oz. They dated him at 19 weeks 6 days because of his size. I was actually 20 weeks 3 days. Since they dated him with that date, I received nothing from him. No death certificate or anything. I hate that the state of Michigan does not acknowledge a child until 20 weeks. 

After I delivered him, my placenta would not release so I had to have an emergency D&C. I returned to my room and spent the rest of the day with my family and Josiah. I sit here with tears in my eyes. He was so perfect!!!! Just little. He looked just like my husband, like all of my kids do. I sent him with the nurses at 6 pm or so. He was starting to change quickly because of his size. 

We buried him November 13. Hardest day in my life!!! I went in for a follow up dr appt and he told me that an infection got into my placenta and that is what took his life. I questioned why I wasn't sent home with an antibiotic and there was nothing he could say. The surgeon never saw me since a day after surgery. He never has done any follow up to date. I was told I didn't have to see him again. ~Renee, Josiah's mommy

Not only does Renee create clothing for local Michigan hospitals, but she has adopted several requests off of the Teeny Tears headquarters waiting list!

Diapers, blankets, gowns, hats, and other bereavement items have been donated in memory of Josiah to:

Sturgis Hospital in Sturgis, Michigan
Three Rivers Health in Three Rivers, Michigan
Hazleton General Hospital in Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Freemont Medical Center in Freemont, Nebraska
Pregnancy Help Line in Michigan

Find out more about Josiah's Song here and don't forget to "like" them!