Diapers by Franzi

"My name is Franzi and this is my first donation to Teeny Tears. In December 2013, I first heard about Teeny Tears through a post on Facebook. I looked up the organization to find out more and I can’t really tell you what drew me in, but I knew I wanted to contribute.

I only started sewing a year ago so my skills are still developing. But I like to sew and I like to make people happy with what I give them. The idea of being able to help families in their darkest hour is something that just speaks to me. If I can make a diaper for a little angel who doesn’t fit available diapers, and through this give him or her the dignity she/he deserves, why not do it? I can’t imagine the emotions of a family in such a situation and if my sewing can help them even a little bit then it was all worth it.

My first donation is going to the Easton Birthing Center in Easton, Maryland. They received 24 sets. When I started to cut the flannel, I realized how tiny the diapers are but I have to say, it hit me again when I folded and pinned the diapers. I have small hands but even in mine the small diapers look tiny!

I picked cute ribbon to tie them all together. They are not perfect but they were made with love and I hope they provide the families that receive them some comfort.

One thing I noticed was that people have a difficult time approaching the topic of stillborn babies or preemie death. Conversations typically started with “So what are you sewing currently?” and I would say “Bereavement diapers for stillborn babies. I donate them through Teeny Tears.” and that was the end of the conversation. Makes me wonder, if people feel uneasy talking about this to me, who is not affected, what must it be like for families who go through this? Who maybe want to have this conversation as part of a healing process but only encounter awkward silence?

I enjoyed making these diapers and I will make more. That box of safety pins holds 1400 pins. Maybe I can use them all for diapers. That's a mission!

All the best,
Franzi"