For Love of Oliver

"Below are 50 large diapers sets, 50 small diaper sets, 5 sets of size 2 hats, 25 sets of size 3 hats, 28 sets of size 4 hats (80 full sets with a blanket), all ready to be donated to Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland, WA on Thursday, April 24, 2014 in honor of my son Oliver who was born there 6 weeks prior.

Oliver was diagnosed at 18 weeks with Trisomy 18, which is a chromosome disorder that is not compatible with life. This was our first baby, who we were so very excited and anxious for, so naturally we were devastated at this news. Amongst other things, we were told that there was a high likelihood that Oliver would not make it to delivery but each month we prayed that the ultrasound would not detect any hydrops or other signs that his little body was failing him... And thankfully it never did. 

 He was so strong until 32.5 weeks, when my water broke. Unfortunately his little heart could not handle the stress of labor and he was born still on March 12, 2014 at 3:14pm, 2 lbs 12 oz 15 1/3 inches long. It was the hardest day of our lives but were surrounded by our immediate family and a hospital full of the kindest souls we've had the pleasure of meeting. With all of the challenges stacked against him, Oliver was a little fighter and made it further than anticipated. And he was so handsome! As parents who were routing for him, we could not have been more proud.

For me personally, this experience has been so humbling and has made me reevaluate my priorities in life. Making these diapers, hats and blankets with the help and support of friends and family has been very healing and I'm so happy to have a way to not only thank Evergreen and bless other hospitals and families in the future, but to honor my son's memory in such a way.

Oliver, I love you son and until we meet again.... "... I hold you in my heart..." (Philippians 1:7)"  Kim, angel mother to Oliver